About Me

My photo

The purpose behind this space is to share obscure, out of print or otherwise commercially unavailable music, video and other media from a period in time in which music history revisionists have written out or downplayed the contributions of so many great bands, fanzine writers and others. And to entertain myself.  I don't own any of the material posted, so if  it belongs to you and you do not want it up here, get in touch with me and I will take it down. A lot of the material I will end up posting has been downloaded from other blogs or received through trades and may or may not be available elsewhere. I am extremely grateful for all the great stuff I have discovered through other people's blogs and their effort to share but please do not spit your dummy out for not receiving credit for your "ripping the vinyl" or whatever.I really cannot be bothered to keep track of where I found things. Keep in mind you probably do not own the rights for the music either and it is all about bringing the music to a wider audience (in my case likely the 3 or 4 people who bother to read this blog). I hope everyone discovers something new or something they have been searching for. All the best.

Thursday, 9 January 2014

THE VILETONES


I don't really have the words to express how important this band was. The Viletones for all intents and purposes could be called a street gang that played instruments. They were what the Dead Boys played at. 30 odd years later, the wave of graffiti that washed over Toronto proclaiming the turf of the Viletones is slowly being erased, but the music will always be part of the fabric of this city.

This video is taken from Colin Brunton's The Last Pogo movie, which is as essential to any fan of Punk Rock as Don Lett's Punk Rock Movie, Ulli Lommel's Blank Generation, Lech Kowalski's DOA or Penelope Spheeris' Decline of Western Civilization. 

There was a problem with equipment, so left handed bass player Sam is playing a right handed bass backwards.


Here is a early rehearsal session from 1977. The songs are Auschwitz Jerk, Wet Dream Girl, Heinrich Himmler & No Fun.  I believe it predates the recording session that their first single "Screaming Fist" came from. It was just released last year as a limited edition single on a couple of different labels.



Get it here:


No comments:

Post a Comment